For the most part I run through the same exact routine every morning Starting from the moment my alarm goes off. It helps start my day off right. It helps me to set things in motion to set me up for success in the long run. We’ll skip the standard things and look at a few of the pieces that I feel are very beneficial!
- Water: Every night I sit a full glass of water on the night stand and the very first thing I do every morning is drink that entire glass. Before I even get completely out of bed. Alarm goes off, I sit up, put my feet on the floor, and I drink the entire glass of water. Water is a big deal and many people neglect it. For someone like me that is guaranteed to be active throughout the day, it’s even more important. So I start every morning with that glass of water.
- Movement: Before I get out of the shower I do a few reps of movement with every joint, trying to work through ROM and waking everything up. I have the same exact routine every morning. I have no idea why it goes in this order, but it does… and I have to stick with it. I work everything, even the fingers. This allows me to break off the rust from laying down all night and again prepare my body for movement the rest of the day. Not to mention helps identify any specific things that might need addressed that day as far as mobility.
- Cold Finish: Once I finish my movement routine, I finish by dropping the water down to as cold as possible and doing a 40-60s cold finish. During that 40-60s I focus on breathing, trying to maintain good full inhales and exhales and avoiding the desire to hyperventilate. The drastic change in temperature perks you up, gets your heart rate going, and when you get out of the shower, the air is warm in comparison. This has been a BIG staple in getting me going int he morning. It’s hard to not be jacked up and ready to run through walls after it hah.
- Coffee and Coconut Oil: Every morning I do a french press coffee for myself and my wife. For me specifically I blend my coffee with a big hunk of coconut oil. The coconut oil is an MCT oil which means it doesn’t affect my “fasted state” since I generally follow a 16:8 intermittent fasting schedule and won’t eat until 1pm. It also curbs the caffeine jitters you might normally get on an empty stomach. Most importantly… it’s delicious.
- Power List: While I am waiting for the coffee to finish I write my power list for the day. I wrote about this a few weeks back, but it is a concept I stole from Andy Frisella. You list 5 tasks that you want to get done to win the day. If by the end of the day you have completed all 5, then you write a big ass “W”.. if you didn’t then you write a big ass “L.” But it helps to guide the day and help youth begin building momentum in your life. If you have a chance check out his podcast The MFCEO Project and look up his episode on Winning the Day!
- Family: The very last thing I do before I leave is kiss my wife goodbye and tell her I love her. No matter what. I never leave my house without doing that. If my kids are up, they get loving too. But on early mornings when they are still asleep, and my wife is as well, I still go back into our room and kiss her goodbye. That will never change.
Every second of the every day is an opportunity to really take control of your life. How you start your day can make or break you. Are you making the most of your morning?!
Be good, stay safe, train hard.